Three college friends – Nicolas Jammet, Jonathan Neman, and Nathaniel Ru, all from entrepreneurial parents, met as freshmen in Georgetown University and became firm friends. With a shared love of tasty healthy food, they also believed that food service restaurants have become largely disconnected from their roots, from famers and even from the local community.
They developed a vision of a sustainable lifestyle brand, connecting with communities around food, which resonated with family and friends. Over forty of them invested in the business to provide the initial capital for the trio’s first store.
Since then the company has gone from strength to strength, resulting in a “cult explosion” that they attribute to a combination of discipline and an understanding of the dynamics of a technology start-up brand, to create a new “frontier” in the US food service industry.
1) Sweetgreen exudes integrity – exactly what an increasing number of customers are demanding from brands. Whether as a consumer, or as an employee, key demographics such as millennials and Gen Z want to connect with brands they trust. Sweetgreen’s food ethos focuses on food that’s both regional and seasonal, with a clear brand promise to positively impact the communities they serve.
2) The brand’s marketing strategy meets consumers where they are – on social media. From their early days, the team has leveraged the power of relevant content, clever copy and beautiful imagery to “rock content marketing”.
3) The company doesn’t operate any franchise stores currently – preferring instead to own and operate its stores directly, supported by their team of over 3,500 staff.
4) Technology is a key pillar to their success. The chain has successfully re-structured its operations to allow customers to pre-order, pre-pay and completely “skip the line” using the Sweetgreen app. Co-founder and CEO Jonathan Neman, describes this as allowing the brand “to meet customers where they are”, and as well as opening an increasing number of restaurants, investing in technology is a key focus driving the company’s growth.
5) Sweetgreen has gone cashless is most of its stores – accepting only cards or the company’s app for payment. Three reasons were quoted for this decision which rolled out in 2017 – improved security and hygiene – but most importantly the ability to improve the speed of service in store.
7) Other benefits include access to invite-only events such as exclusive tastings and merchandise and the services of the Sweetgreen concierge. Black members also get an exclusive private party for their ten closest friends!
1) Along with their elegantly simple rewards programme, Sweetgreen have historically run an annual music festival for fans. Originally the idea to use music was a “desperate move” to attract customers when the company opened its second store but had almost no customers in its first few days. This year, the format is changing – returning to a smaller, more intimate “block party” style event in its original home state of Washington.
2) Menu changes are advised to fans of those dishes (only) by email in advance – a practical demonstration of another core value to “cultivate authentic…relationships.”
3) The over-arching intention is “choicelessness” a surprising (and perhaps made-up word) that CEO Jonathan Neman uses to simplify decisions, in an era he describes as “decision fatigue”.
4) The company also has a unique design approach to its storefronts – almost every one is different. While similar, the store formats and branding are varied, further evidence of the intention to localise each store rather than attempt a homogenous brand nationwide.
5) The company has implemented an education programme, visiting public schools to talk to children about sources of nutrition in their diet. A clever strategy, connecting with both the community and potential future customers.
Passion X Purpose
Whether or not you’re a fan of salads, there’s no doubt that the concept of green food, locally and sustainably sourced is clearly resonating. While time is clearly a key priority for the food service sector, it seems that a beautifully crafted brand that connects with customers in more meaningful ways is an even bigger draw. This video show the brand background and insights – one to perhaps ‘copy with pride’?
Video About Sweetgreen’s History.
Liquid Barcodes is a leading global loyalty technology company specialized for the convenience store and foodservice industries. Our proprietary cloud-based technology platform allow retailers to create and manage their digital marketing campaigns with a proprietary process we call the “customer connection cycle’ to engage, promote and reward customers activities in real-time across digital and media channels.
How we do it:
We have developed the most advanced loyalty and digital marketing technology platform specifically for convenience store and foodservice retailers globally.
Retailers use our self-service dashboard to create and manage loyalty driven marketing campaigns that increase purchases with their existing customers, as well as effectively target and acquire new customers through partners or paid media channels.
One core component of live loyalty is gamification. We have gamified branding, loyalty and promotions. We believe this approach is essential in order to get customers’ attention and ultimately truly engage them with repeatable actions thereby winning their loyalty.
Check out some of our exciting/proven results here:
Chief Content Officer, Liquid Barcodes and Independent Loyalty Consultant.
With over twenty-five years marketing experience, I specialise in loyalty marketing consulting, managing consumer loyalty propositions, strategy and operations. In addition to working with Liquid Barcodes, my clients have included Telefonica O2, Three Mobile, Electric Ireland, Allied Irish Bank and The Entertainer, as well as Avios – the global points currency for some of the world’s top airlines. I am also a judge for the Loyalty Magazine Awards.
Circle K Norway Wins NACS Convenience Retail Technology Award
Circle K Norway wins the prestigious NACS award for its innovative car wash subscription program powered by Liquid Barcodes. NACS awarded Circle K Norway’s leaders with the NACS Convenience Retail Technology Award at this week’s NACS Convenience Summit Europe recognizing the industry’s first global car wash subscription program. Circle K’s pioneering car wash subscription program, […]
Maxol Wins Customers and Awards With Loyalty App
Irish retailer Maxol celebrates a year of success with their award-winning loyalty app. Maxol’s loyalty app has been rewarded for excellence with the prestigious “2023 Loyalty Launch of the Year ” award at this year’s Irish Loyalty & CX Awards. The Irish Loyalty & CX Awards 2023 recognise excellence, innovation, and achievement in loyalty and […]
Record-High Sales Coupled With Record-High Credit Card Swipe Fees Perplex Convenience Industry
NACS releases 2022 data for the convenience industry and retailers report record-high sales, fuel prices, and credit card swipe fees. In a year of record-high gas prices, retailers recorded record-high sales and credit card swipe fees, according to the 2022 NACS State of the Industry data that was recently released. The $906.1 billion dollar U.S. […]
Sunshine Gasoline Leads Industry in Technology Adoption
Florida retailer Sunshine Gasoline leads the U.S. convenience industry with app solutions for customer convenience and loyalty. Sunshine Gasoline Distributors, based in southern Florida and established in 1987, supplies fuel to 536 gas stations and operates nearly 400 of those sites, earning the twentieth place on CSP’s Top 202 Convenience Store Chains in 2022. […]
Everyone Wins With App Games
Games reward customers for visiting an app and encourage them to visit the store. Customers love to feel appreciated, they love a good deal and they especially love winning. Customers are excited when they get a good discount or coupon. And, they truly feel like winners after playing and winning a game. It is easy […]
Liquid Barcodes Connects With Convenience Industry Leaders in Texas
The Liquid Barcodes team networks and learns at 2023 NAG Conference in Austin, Texas. Last week, Liquid Barcodes attended and exhibited at the US convenience industry conference held by the National Advisory Group (NAG). Among those present from the Liquid Barcodes team were Saurabh Swarup, General Manager of North America and Jose Santiago, Head of […]
5 Cs of Summer: Cold Coffee, Clean Cars & Convenience
Subscription programs are a great way to secure long-term customer loyalty and revenue. Whether you are providing a subscription for beverages or car washes, securing recurring monthly revenue is imperative to stay competitive. Summer is around the corner and retail marketers are crafting sunny campaigns to increase customer traffic to the store. Help those […]
Circle K Makes a Splash With Car Wash Subscription Program in Europe
Circle K has extended its highly successful car wash subscription program to Norway after successful implementations in the United States, Canada, Denmark, Sweden and Estonia. Circle K’s vast global network of car washes has digitally transformed operations with its revolutionary car wash subscription program. First launched in Denmark and the U.S. in 2020, the program […]
Newly Redesigned Brezelkönig App Accepts Payments and Rewards Loyalty
Swiss foodservice chain Brezelkönig releases app update which offers customers the convenience of earning rewards and paying for products with the app in stores. The recently-updated Brezelkönig app allows pretzel-loving customers to enjoy recognition and rewards for their loyalty. Additionally, the Brezelkönig app accepts payments to make the customer experience even more convenient. Brezelkönig is […]
What Is C-StorePay?
Liquid Barcodes’ proprietary C-StorePay makes paying for fuel, in-store merchandise, and subscription programs convenient for customers, reduces credit card fees for retailers, and integrates easily into existing loyalty programs Announced in October 2022, the revolutionary Liquid Barcodes C-StorePay product rose to the top of retailers’ 2022 wish lists at the NACS Show, even achieving a […]
Polish Retail Leader Żabka Launches Coffee Subscription Program
Polish retail giant, Żabka introduces a monthly coffee subscription program across its vast store network. With its new coffee subscription program, Żabka Polska will certainly dominate the beverage category in Poland’s unique convenience market. In July 2022, Dr. Adam Manikowski, Managing Director of Żabka Polska, was featured on the popular Global Convenience Store Focus video […]
Loyalty Apps Engage Customers
98% of loyalty app users love using a loyalty app and want more features from it. In September 2022, NACS published a report examining customer engagement with convenience loyalty programs. Unsurprisingly, customers feel most engaged, appreciated and valued by the stores to which they belong in a loyalty or membership program – nearly ¾ of […]
Save Thousands in Credit Card Fees With ACH
Visa and Mastercard announced an increase in interchange fees earlier in the year and retailers are taking action and sending a message by migrating their customers to new solutions, including mobile app-based ACH payments, and in the process increasing profits by not only reducing credit card fees but also boosting loyalty via innovative app-based incentive […]
Maxol Launches First-of-Its-Kind Loyalty App
Maxol, Ireland’s largest family-owned forecourt and convenience retailer, announced it has launched a new customer loyalty app with never-before-seen features in the Irish market. After more than a century serving Irish customers, Maxol’s 240+ stores and service stations are located throughout Ireland and have enjoyed global recognition for their best-in-class operations, store design and offers. […]
Delivering Personalized Content With Machine Learning and Image Recognition
Build personalized customer connections, improve efficiency, and make intelligent, data-driven decisions using machine learning and image recognition. It’s 7:15 in the morning and a customer – Amy – is on her way to work. She is on the hunt for coffee and breakfast and stops at a convenience store. She opens her store app […]
Circle K’s Use of Beacon Technology to Activate Car Wash Subscription Program
Beacon Technology and Car Wash Subscription Programs Beacon technology used in tandem with a customer-facing car wash subscription program revolutionizes the customer experience by providing a quick, convenient experience. Innovation is the key to continued growth and ensuring a frictionless customer experience should be top of mind for any retailer. Circle K’s vast global network […]
Put a rocket under your loyalty program
With our loyalty platform, we help design and operate world-class, tailor-made subscription and reward programs that make sure your customers always come back.