Three college friends – Nicolas Jammet, Jonathan Neman, and Nathaniel Ru, all from entrepreneurial parents, met as freshmen in Georgetown University and became firm friends. With a shared love of tasty healthy food, they also believed that food service restaurants have become largely disconnected from their roots, from famers and even from the local community.
They developed a vision of a sustainable lifestyle brand, connecting with communities around food, which resonated with family and friends. Over forty of them invested in the business to provide the initial capital for the trio’s first store.
Since then the company has gone from strength to strength, resulting in a “cult explosion” that they attribute to a combination of discipline and an understanding of the dynamics of a technology start-up brand, to create a new “frontier” in the US food service industry.
1) Sweetgreen exudes integrity – exactly what an increasing number of customers are demanding from brands. Whether as a consumer, or as an employee, key demographics such as millennials and Gen Z want to connect with brands they trust. Sweetgreen’s food ethos focuses on food that’s both regional and seasonal, with a clear brand promise to positively impact the communities they serve.
2) The brand’s marketing strategy meets consumers where they are – on social media. From their early days, the team has leveraged the power of relevant content, clever copy and beautiful imagery to “rock content marketing”.
3) The company doesn’t operate any franchise stores currently – preferring instead to own and operate its stores directly, supported by their team of over 3,500 staff.
4) Technology is a key pillar to their success. The chain has successfully re-structured its operations to allow customers to pre-order, pre-pay and completely “skip the line” using the Sweetgreen app. Co-founder and CEO Jonathan Neman, describes this as allowing the brand “to meet customers where they are”, and as well as opening an increasing number of restaurants, investing in technology is a key focus driving the company’s growth.
5) Sweetgreen has gone cashless is most of its stores – accepting only cards or the company’s app for payment. Three reasons were quoted for this decision which rolled out in 2017 – improved security and hygiene – but most importantly the ability to improve the speed of service in store.
7) Other benefits include access to invite-only events such as exclusive tastings and merchandise and the services of the Sweetgreen concierge. Black members also get an exclusive private party for their ten closest friends!
1) Along with their elegantly simple rewards programme, Sweetgreen have historically run an annual music festival for fans. Originally the idea to use music was a “desperate move” to attract customers when the company opened its second store but had almost no customers in its first few days. This year, the format is changing – returning to a smaller, more intimate “block party” style event in its original home state of Washington.
2) Menu changes are advised to fans of those dishes (only) by email in advance – a practical demonstration of another core value to “cultivate authentic…relationships.”
3) The over-arching intention is “choicelessness” a surprising (and perhaps made-up word) that CEO Jonathan Neman uses to simplify decisions, in an era he describes as “decision fatigue”.
4) The company also has a unique design approach to its storefronts – almost every one is different. While similar, the store formats and branding are varied, further evidence of the intention to localise each store rather than attempt a homogenous brand nationwide.
5) The company has implemented an education programme, visiting public schools to talk to children about sources of nutrition in their diet. A clever strategy, connecting with both the community and potential future customers.
Passion X Purpose
Whether or not you’re a fan of salads, there’s no doubt that the concept of green food, locally and sustainably sourced is clearly resonating. While time is clearly a key priority for the food service sector, it seems that a beautifully crafted brand that connects with customers in more meaningful ways is an even bigger draw. This video show the brand background and insights – one to perhaps ‘copy with pride’?
Video About Sweetgreen’s History.
Liquid Barcodes is a leading global loyalty technology company specialized for the convenience store and foodservice industries. Our proprietary cloud-based technology platform allow retailers to create and manage their digital marketing campaigns with a proprietary process we call the “customer connection cycle’ to engage, promote and reward customers activities in real-time across digital and media channels.
How we do it:
We have developed the most advanced loyalty and digital marketing technology platform specifically for convenience store and foodservice retailers globally.
Retailers use our self-service dashboard to create and manage loyalty driven marketing campaigns that increase purchases with their existing customers, as well as effectively target and acquire new customers through partners or paid media channels.
One core component of live loyalty is gamification. We have gamified branding, loyalty and promotions. We believe this approach is essential in order to get customers’ attention and ultimately truly engage them with repeatable actions thereby winning their loyalty.
Check out some of our exciting/proven results here:
Chief Content Officer, Liquid Barcodes and Independent Loyalty Consultant.
With over twenty-five years marketing experience, I specialise in loyalty marketing consulting, managing consumer loyalty propositions, strategy and operations. In addition to working with Liquid Barcodes, my clients have included Telefonica O2, Three Mobile, Electric Ireland, Allied Irish Bank and The Entertainer, as well as Avios – the global points currency for some of the world’s top airlines. I am also a judge for the Loyalty Magazine Awards.
Lessons in Loyalty: Customer Connection Cycle
The Liquid Barcodes Customer Connection Cycle Explains Six Key Components to Operating a Successful Loyalty Program
Lessons in Loyalty: Easy, Empowering, and Engaging
Invite higher sales with a loyalty program that is easy, empowering, and engaging.
Lessons in Loyalty: Clear, Compelling and Consistant Programming
Engage customers with a compelling loyalty program that is clear, compelling, and consistent.
Liquid Barcodes: Elevating Retail Experiences
Liquid Barcodes is a proud partner to global retailers using revolutionary technology to increase sales and grow customer engagement.
Unlock Customer Loyalty: Choosing the Right Rewards Program for Your Business Goals
Loyalty reward programs attract new customers, keep them coming back, and increase sales, and can be tailored to meet specific goals.
Increasing Customer Engagement With Loyalty Programs
From basic discounts, points, and perks, to more advanced strategies like subscriptions and mobile payments, loyalty programs allow retailers to compete in today’s fast-paced retail landscape.
Liquid Barcodes Connects at 2023 NACS Show
Liquid Barcodes exhibits at the 2023 NACS Show showcasing its app-based loyalty, subscription, and payment solutions.
The Refreshing Perks of Beverage Subscription Programs
Beverage subscription programs offer convenience retailers the benefits of enhanced customer loyalty, a predictable revenue stream, customer data, and a competitive edge.
FastLane Sees Success with Monthly Subscription Car and Truck Wash Program
FastLane becomes the newest retailer to join the subscription economy by offering monthly subscriptions for car and truck washing.
Beverage Subscriptions Improve Foodservice Sales
Implementing a beverage subscription program will boost customer spending on foodservice items. Consumers visit convenience stores to do three main things: get gas, use the restroom and buy a drink. As prepared food becomes the norm in convenience stores, give your customers an offer they can’t resist with a beverage subscription program.
An Introduction to Subscription Programs
Subscription programs ensure recurring revenue by recruiting customers and enhancing the overall foodservice offer Subscription is a big buzzword referring to any recurring or prepaid program that is delivered or available on a regular basis.
Circle K Norway Wins NACS Convenience Retail Technology Award
Circle K Norway wins the prestigious NACS award for technology innovations, including car wash subscription program powered by Liquid Barcodes. NACS awarded Circle K Norway’s leaders with the NACS Convenience Retail Technology Award at this week’s NACS Convenience Summit Europe in Dublin.
Maxol Wins Customers and Awards With Loyalty App
Irish retailer Maxol celebrates a year of success with their award-winning loyalty app. Maxol’s loyalty app has been rewarded for excellence with the prestigious “2023 Loyalty Launch of the Year ” award at this year’s Irish Loyalty & CX Awards.
Sunshine Gasoline Leads Industry in Technology Adoption
Florida retailer Sunshine Gasoline leads the U.S. convenience industry with app solutions for customer convenience and loyalty.
What Is C-StorePay?
Liquid Barcodes’ proprietary C-StorePay makes paying for fuel, in-store merchandise, and subscription programs convenient for customers, reduces credit card fees for retailers, and integrates easily into existing loyalty programs Announced in October 2022, the revolutionary Liquid Barcodes C-StorePay product rose to the top of retailers’ 2022 wish lists at the NACS Show, even achieving a […]
Save Thousands in Credit Card Fees With ACH
Visa and Mastercard announced an increase in interchange fees earlier in the year and retailers are taking action and sending a message by migrating their customers to new solutions, including mobile app-based ACH payments, and in the process increasing profits by not only reducing credit card fees but also boosting loyalty via innovative app-based incentive […]
Put a rocket under your loyalty program
With our loyalty platform, we help design and operate world-class, tailor-made subscription and reward programs that make sure your customers always come back.