ADNOC Distribution is the UAE’s leading operator of retail fuel service stations with a footprint of over 400 stations, and in fact is the only retail fuel operator in the capital city Abu Dhabi, so the launch of ADNOC Rewards was a welcome milestone, becoming the country’s first loyalty programme across fuel and convenience purchases.
Originally launched in November 2019, the Rewards programme began with a simple “Fuel Up and Fly Off” promotion, offering members the chance to win roundtrip tickets with Etihad Airways, and successfully signed up over 750,000 members, “making it one of the fastest growing and popular loyalty programs in the country.” The success of the digital programme follows the announcement of the brand as the number one retail brand in the region in the Forbes Middle East Top 100 Companies 2020, so here is a summary of how the programme has been built and how it’s designed to benefit customers.
Some impressive statistics across ADNOC’s network of over 400 stations
How Does It Work:
- The programme is digital (only). The app is free to download and the programme is free to join. Customers then earn loyalty points on every purchase of both fuel and non-fuel products.
- Every dirham (approx 23 US cent) spent on fuel earns one point, with higher grade ‘plus’ fuels earning the member 2 points per dirham. Spend in the “Oasis” convenience stores, car washing and on other premium services and fuel earn 3 points per dirham spent.
- All members earn a 25% bonus if they pay using the wallet functionality within the app.
- A QR code within the app is used to identify members at the time of purchase, although the digital government ID card known as the “Emirates ID” is also linked to the members account securely, so it can also be used.
- A “family account” feature allows members of the same family to pool their points, with the rewards earned by the main family member.
- Points can be redeemed on non-fuel products and services, such as car wash, lube change, or offers from the Oasis convenience store, chosen from the rewards catalog within the mobile app. They can also be exchanged with Etihad Airways points.
- ADNOC Rewards points are valid for two years.
Programme Launch Offers
- New users/members are being awarded 500 bonus points for joining while existing ADNOC app users will receive points for all their purchases made through wallet during the previous month.
- Uniquely, new members also receive a complimentary interior car sanitization when they complete their first transaction – proving that health and safety are the key priority for customers currently, replacing the traditional focus on speed and convenience.
- A partnership with McDonald’s also means that all members of the ADNOC Rewards app can enjoy a free Apple Pie with the purchase of selected meal deals when showing the Rewards QR code at any outlet.
While ADNOC is clearly keeping things simple for now, the launch press release does promise the announcement of “partners from a number of leading brands across a range of sectors” so we will of course be watching and reporting as the country’s first fuel and convenience loyalty programme evolves.
Liquid Barcodes is a leading global loyalty and digital marketing technology company specialising in the convenience store and foodservice industries. Our proprietary cloud-based technology platform allow retailers to create and manage their digital marketing campaigns with a proprietary process we call the “customer connection cycle’ to engage, promote and reward customers activities in real-time across digital and media channels.
How we do it:
We have developed the most advanced loyalty and digital marketing technology platform specifically for convenience store and foodservice retailers globally.
Retailers use our self-service dashboard to create and manage loyalty driven marketing campaigns that increase purchases with their existing customers, as well as effectively target and acquire new customers through partners or paid media channels.
One core component of live loyalty is gamification. We have gamified branding, loyalty and promotions. We believe this approach is essential in order to get customers’ attention and ultimately truly engage them with repeatable actions thereby winning their loyalty.
Check out some of our exciting/proven results here:
Chief Content Officer, Liquid Barcodes and Independent Loyalty Consultant
With over twenty-five years marketing experience, I specialise in loyalty marketing consulting, managing consumer loyalty propositions, strategy and operations. In addition to working with Liquid Barcodes, my clients have included Telefonica O2 Priority, Three Mobile, Electric Ireland, Allied Irish Bank and The Entertainer Group (UAE), as well as Avios – the global points currency for some of the world’s top airlines. I am also a former judge for the Loyalty Magazine Awards and host of the “Let’s Talk Loyalty” podcast.