RaceTrac is an Atlanta-based retailer that operates convenience stores in Georgia, Florida, Louisiana and Texas. As a family business founded in 1934, it now operates nearly 500 locations, ranking No. 17 in CSP’s 2018 list of top U.S. convenience store chains ranked by the number of company-owned retail outlets. As well these company-owned stores, another 245 stores operate in twelve states under the brand “RaceWay”. RaceTrac ranked #42 in the 2017 Forbes list of America’s largest private companies, with over 8,000 employees, and revenues of $7.9 bn.
RaceTrac Rewards was launched in 2016 with one of the most generous launch propositions we’ve seen in convenience programmes – SEVEN free drink coupons for joining! A digital platform, focused on “simplicity and making life more enjoyable”, the programme includes progressive tiers – dubbed “loyalty royalty” – starting with the Duke of Hot Dog, then the Prince of Pastry, King of Coffee and ultimately the Sultan of Soda. This is in keeping with the overall tone and style of the brand, whose communications are light and playful because “you can’t take taquitos too seriously!”.
How It Works:
- RaceTrac Rewards is a points-based programme managed on a free mobile app. There is no physical card option available for the programme.
- In-store purchases for all tiers are awarded one point for every $0.25 spent.
- All members also earn one point for every gallon of fuel purchased regardless of their tier.
- Points are valid for 36 months.
- Customers progress to the next tier of “loyalty royalty” when they achieve 500, 2,000 and 3,500 points.
- Tier rewards are increasingly generous with one free fountain, frozen or coffee drink per month (Prince of Pastry members), per week (King of Coffee members), or per day (Sultan of Soda members).
- In addition, members are sent occasional coupons for use themselves – OR they can transfer them to another RaceTrac Rewards member.
- Members are also given the option to transfer their points from within the platform to the RaceTrac Rewards chosen charity – the Michael J Fox Foundation.
Fun For Summer:
And they’ve taken their programme to a whole new of fun this summer with the launch of a gamification strategy, giving away products in store worth over half a million dollars! With a rich proposition and a one in three chance of winning, customers are invited to “let the free stuff flow”.
How the “Wintastic” Game Works:
- Members download or update their app – which includes a free hotdog and fountain drink.
- Members buy products as normal. All qualifying products are automatically entered in the Wintastic game.
- One in three purchases triggers a prize. There are fourteen product prizes available, from free coffees to branded products such as Gatorade or Monster Energy drinks.
- Like most programmes, winners are required to agree to full and perpetual use of their details in publicity or marketing campaigns.
While points and prizes will keep the marketing team busy, the RaceTrak leadership team are focused on trialling new ideas – essential in an industry that is evolving so rapidly. Recent innovations include an own-label wine “Sequins and Sawdust”, which drives exclusivity, and one store is trialling product delivery using the Uber Eats service. Customisation continues to be a key theme, with in store food service managed on tablets that allow full flexibility in the same way that counter staff otherwise do. With a continual focus on fun, and ambitious plans announced to open more than thirty new stores in Nashville, we’ve no doubt that there are plenty of reasons to keep an eye on this playful brand and its story.
Liquid Barcodes is a leading global loyalty technology company specialized for the convenience store and foodservice industries. Our proprietary cloud-based technology platform allow retailers to create and manage their digital marketing campaigns with a proprietary process we call the “customer connection cycle’ to engage, promote and reward customers activities in real-time across digital and media channels.
How we do it:
We have developed the most advanced loyalty and digital marketing technology platform specifically for convenience store and foodservice retailers globally.
Retailers use our self-service dashboard to create and manage loyalty driven marketing campaigns that increase purchases with their existing customers, as well as effectively target and acquire new customers through partners or paid media channels.
One core component of live loyalty is gamification. We have gamified branding, loyalty and promotions. We believe this approach is essential in order to get customers’ attention and ultimately truly engage them with repeatable actions thereby winning their loyalty.
Check out some of our exciting/proven results here:
Chief Content Officer, Liquid Barcodes and Independent Loyalty Consultant.
With over twenty-five years marketing experience, I specialise in loyalty marketing consulting, managing consumer loyalty propositions, strategy and operations. In addition to working with Liquid Barcodes, my clients have included Telefonica O2, Three Mobile, Electric Ireland, Allied Irish Bank and The Entertainer, as well as Avios – the global points currency for some of the world’s top airlines. I am also a judge for the Loyalty Magazine Awards.